WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLDMINE: LOS ANGELES IN THE 1970s, Jacobs’ true crime story, which is featured in this anthology, explores how an idealist lawyer challenged a depraved cult that’d strayed from its roots, and the venomous payback that it sparked. Hear him interviewed about it on KPCC. Coverage of this bestselling, awarded nominated collection, edited by David Kukoff and published by Rare Bird Books, includes: CNN, Forbes, Huffington Post, Los Angeles Magazine, LA Weekly, Cultural Weekly, LA Observed, The Rumpus, Huck Magazine, the Los Angeles Daily News, The Argonaut, and the INDIES ,
* Publishers Weekly review describes Strange As It Seems as “exceptional” storytelling and a “peculiar page-turner.”
* Bookwatch: “… deftly crafted, inherently fascinating … riveting read from first page to last …”
* Book Takes Silver at the Pacific Rim Book Festival
* Cinema Sentries/Journey in Classic Film: “Zahler’s story truly lives up to its title”
* A Strange As It Seems Intersection of Film and Music – Video Interview by Mr. Media as hosted by Bob Andelman
* The Culture News: “Never a book has taken you from laughing to crying within the same page … Eloquent, passionate yet entertaining”
* In the Balcony on Strange As It Seems: “A terrific read and one of the best (hopefully) movie-based books of the year. Highly recommended.”
* Book review: “a remarkable tale of Hollywood history” – Cartoon Research
* Bloodline: Are Our Ancestors Actual Experiences Imprinted in Our DNA? – Pasadena Weekly
* “Jacobs brings this amazing figure to vivid life” – Pasadena Weekly
SMOGTOWN & THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHEMICALS
* “The Ride,” KPCC – Southern California Public Radio: “The Day Smog Hit L.A. (and never left)”
* Smogtown Mandarin wins a Shanghai Book Award
* Chip in in the South China Morning Post Connecting Pollution Hell & Free Trade $
* Smogtown Mandarin Awards: 2015: Wenjin Book Award; Outstanding Popular Science Book by China’s Ministry of Science 2014: Among Most Influential Books in China; Best (English) Book in Mandarin; National Library Recommended work
* In Politifact “Jerry Brown’s Hazy Claim: L.A. ‘Invents Smog’
* In LA Observed’s “From ‘Smogtown’ to Model for the World?”
* Chip talking China-US smog parallels with Al Gore & others in Beijing
* The People’s Republic of Chemicals Take Gold and silver at the Green Book Festival
* The People’s Republic of Chemicals Named IndieFab Book of the Year Award Finalist
* The Southern California Independent Booksellers Association Recommends The People’s Republic of Chemicals
* Kirkus praises as “powerful,” “hard-hitting,” “scathing”
* Chip’s Q&A comparing Los Angeles and Beijing in the New York Times’ Sinosphere
* Writing The People’s Republic – Q&A in Wall Street Journal’s ChinaRealTime
* Bill’s Q&A on the China Urban Development Blog
* The People’s Republic of Chemicals Earns Strong review from ChinaFile
* Chip on Marketplace Radio series, “We Used to Be China” series
* The People’s Republic of Chemicals Garners Pasadena Weekly’s sterling review
* Chip and William J. Kelly on coal and climate change (CCTV-America) and U.S. culpability
* Co-author William J. Kelly previews chilling, provocative material from book in series for Inside Climate News
* The Vicodin Thieves: Best compilation/anthology, Southern California Book Festival
* The Vicodin Thieves: Vroman’s bookstore bestseller
* Foreword magazine makes The Ascension of Jerry “staff pick” book
* Great critique of The Ascension of Jerry from Midwest Book Review
* Chip chats true-crime writing process in featurette out with DVD release of the movie “Sinister“
* Chip dissects The Ascension of Jerry on “Connie Martinson Talks Books” show
* Chip’s alma mater, USC, spotlights Chip’s five desert-island “Must-Read” books
*The Ascension of Jerry wins silver at Hollywood Book Festival in general nonfiction category
* The Ascension of Jerry: Vroman’s bookstore bestseller
RECENT ARTICLES & OP-EDS
* “Chromium 6 Suspected at Disney” – Los Angeles Times, August 22, 2012
* Governor Jerry Brown can do more to green up California, Bloomberg View, May 29, 2012.
* What if Republicans Closed the E.P.A.? The New York Times, Aug. 25, 2011.
* The mystery photographs of RFK in Los Angeles shortly before his murder. chipjacobs.com, May 5, 2011.
* “Does the Climate Bill Have a Chance?” The New York Times, May 9, 2010.
* “California’s Solar Scorecard,” The New York Times, April 22, 2010.
* “Earth Wind and Wire: Going Beyond Solar Panels,” The Los Angeles Times, Feb. 7, 2010.
* “Recession May Forge Housing Shift in California,” The Los Angeles Times, Sept. 13, 2009.
* “Air of Deceit. Was Convicted Smog-Credit Swindler Anne Sholtz Part of Shady International ‘Money Repatriation’
Schemes with Links to the CIA?” Pasadena Weekly, Aug. 20, 2009.
* “House Hunting? It’s Not a Buyer’s Market Everywhere,” The Los Angeles Times, May 3, 2009.
* “A Strong Signal on Global Warming,” The New York Times, Jan. 26, 2009.
* “Prepare for a Quake? L.A.’s too Busy,” The Los Angeles Times, Sept. 24, 2008.
STRANGE AS IT SEEMS: THE IMPOSSIBLE LIFE OF GORDON ZAHLER 2016 – YOUTUBE CUT
DIGGING INTO HOW RAMPANT COAL BURNING IN CHINA 2.O IS OVERHEATING A WARMNG PLANET – CCTV-AMERICA
THE RISE OF SMOG IN CHINA – CCTV-AMERICA
ASCENSION OF JERRY: MURDER, HITMEN AND THE MAKING OF L.A. MUCKRAKER JERRY SCHNEIDERMAN –YOUTUBE CUT
A STAR IS BOUGHT: CNN/EW EXPOSE ON JOHNNY GRANT AND THE SHAMELESS HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME – 1999 – YOUTUBE CUT
LOS ANGELES TIMES FESTIVAL OF BOOKS PANEL “UNKNOWN LOS ANGELES, SPRING 2009 VIA C-SPAN BOOK TV